October has crept up on us and that means Halloween has too! Here at Cali, we know that usually means knock ‘n’ run and a lot of sugar… for the kids at least! So we thought it would be a cool idea to test out a pumpkin pie smoothie recipe by Honestly Nourished to see if it could curb that sweet tooth craving while keeping the Halloween spirit alive.
Well peeps, the verdict is in and we’re happy to announce it’s simply delicious! Since we loved it so much, Cali will be offering our own take on the Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for a limited time across all cafes as of this Saturday! But just in case you can’t make it in to grab one, we’ve popped the recipe down below. Enjoy!
REASONS THIS SMOOTHIE IS ON POINT
1. It’s totally Halloween with pumpkin and spice.
2. No additional sugar added to this recipe.
3. Healthy fats, nutrient-rich carbs, and a protein of your choice make it a wholesome, nourishing meal or snack.
4. Pumpkin: an excellent source of beta-carotene, vitamin C, folic acid, potassium, and fibre.
SIMPLE PALEO (LOW-SUGAR) PUMPKIN PIE SMOOTHIE
Serves: 1 | Prepped an served in 5 minutes
1 cup organic pumpkin (cubed)
1/2 – 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk (light or full fat—totally up to you)
1 tbsp creamy almond butter, salted
1/2 to 1 tsp organic maca powder
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend
1 small frozen banana
2 tbs protein powder of your choice
1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger root
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of ice
- tsp full-fat coconut milk for drizzling (optional)
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds for topping (optional)
- Dash of cinnamon for topping (NOT optional – wink!)
1. Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy.
2. Add toppings as you like and then just enjoy!