Since discovering the deliciousness of vegan mousse, we haven’t been able to stop looking for great recipes. For all of you chocolate-mint lovers out there, this friends is the ultimate recipe (thanks to The Minimalist Baker)! We’re talking, vegan dark chocolate mousse infused with pure mint. Fluffy, rich, intensely satisfying and the perfect healthier dessert option for the silly season.
VEGAN CHOC-MINT MOUSSE
- 1 15-ounce can coconut cream OR full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free dark chocolate (At least 65% cacao), roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract
Optional Extras: Whipped coconut cream and finely crushed peppermint candies for garnish (check to ensure vegan friendly)
- Coconut cream works best in this recipe. But if using full fat coconut milk, scoop out the cream and use 1/2 cup less chocolate. Otherwise, use coconut cream and the full amount of chocolate.
- Melt chocolate until creamy and smooth (be careful not to cook the chocolate past its melting point).
- Add coconut cream to a mixing bowl along with the melted chocolate and whisk thoroughly to combine. Add peppermint oil and mix once more. Start with 1/8 tsp peppermint oil, then graduate by drops up to the 1/4 tsp level depending on your taste for “mintiness”.
- Cover and set mixture in the refrigerator to chill fully (about 4 hours). You’ll know it’s ready to whip when the mixture no longer sloshes around when tipped side to side.
- Once chilled and semi-firm, whip until creamy and smooth with a hand mixer, scraping down the sides as you go.
- At this point you can either transfer to a piping bag or otherwise use a spoon to divide between 3-4 drinking glasses.
- To serve, top with whipped coconut cream, crushed peppermint, and/or chocolate shavings or cacao powder.
- Prep time does not include chilling.
- Not into mint? No worries. You can also sub the mint for 1/4 cup salted peanut butter or leave it plain and top it with fresh raspberries or bananas. You really can’t go wrong! This is a Cali favourite.