It’s a scientific fact that chatting to your barista in the morning has the ability to improve your mood. Seriously. A study found that the simple act of chatting to your barista in the morning could be transformed into a highly positive experience. Somewhere along the line, you’ve likely realised how much you dig your barista… they help you wake up in the morning, remember your name and always leave you in a better mood! But how do they feel about you? We sat down with Cali Double Bay barista Andy, to find out what it takes to become your barista’s favourite customer.
1. Read The Room: Check if there’s a line for coffee. If it’s quite busy we might not have time to shoot the breeze.
2. Get To Know Me: A good place to start is with my name.
3. Use A Nick: If you have a six-syllable name, consider switching up your order with a nickname. That way I can easily remember you.
4. Ditch The Device: Just put it down. Science says taking a moment to engage and be present can make you a happier human.
5. Zen Den: Try not to reach over into the bar – if you need something feel free to ask for it.
6. Brush Up: It’s always helpful when a customer has a bit of coffee knowledge! It’s great when customer’s come in knowing exactly what they want and we can even have a chat about coffee specifics and perhaps even a little latte art technique.
7. Good Chat: Keep conversation’s light but avoid too much weather talk. It’s always cool to know what you’re up to during the day or even over the weekend.
8. #beatslayer: The barista often doubles as the cafe’s DJ… so feel free to let us know if you like what you hear!
9. Clean Machine: So there really is a reason why your barista can’t make you that ‘quick coffee’ once the machine has been cleaned. Even though we might be super quick making your morning latte, re-cleaning the machine is what tacks on an extra 20 mins to our shift.
10. Good Vibes Only: Never underestimate the power of a kind word.